Elbert Stannard was born in Westbrook, Connecticut. At 14, he went out to sea. Returning as Captain in 1872, he built a proper prideful house. Later, it became the Menunketesuck Inn, the St. Charles Inn, the Olde English Tavern, and Holly's Hotel & Seafood Restaurant. In 1931, Holly's Barn was added and used as a community gathering place, workforce housing, and Kingsley Hall dormitory.